Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This Week's Random Obsession


Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective.
This album has been the soundtrack to the last 10 days for me, especially through an all-nighter of nicotine, alcohol and headphones Sunday night.
I really hadn't listened to it carefully since I first downloaded it in January, and I feel like a fool for wasting these last two months when I could have been enjoying Animal Collective at their best.
Honestly, This is my favorite of their albums. It shows more talent and listenability than 2005's Feels, and is more adventurous and confident than 2007's (admittedly awesome) Strawberry Jam. This Baltimore-bred band is SOLD OUT at the 9:30 club, and you are gonna have to cough up a good deal of money to get in on this one. Every time they play in the DC/Baltimore area, they sell every ticket in half a day. Be on your toes next time; I know I will be.
As far as things to look forward to with Animal Collective, Panda Bear revealed in an NPR interview that there's a new music video coming out this summer, saying that it would be "some of the most experimental stuff [they've] ever done." The video, directed by Danny Perez, is meant to "create a movie that would have visuals similar to what somebody would see if they closed their eyes while listening to Animal Collective's music"
Just do me a favor and close your eyes when you listen; these songs not just ask for but deserve your full attention.



No comments:

Post a Comment